Pella — Nominations are being sought by the Iowa Soybean Association (ISA) for five awards recognizing those who have demonstrated commitment and leadership in agriculture and to improving soybean production and environmental performance.
Awards will be presented in five categories: Legacy of Leadership, Rising Star, Environmental Leader, New Leader and Friend of the Iowa Soybean Association.
ISA President Brian Kemp of Sibley says the program provides a unique opportunity to recognize those who dedicate their time, talents and expertise to furthering the mission and goals of the association.
“We’re dedicated to expanding opportunities and delivering results for Iowa’s soybean farmers,” Kemp says. “The success of the association and soybean industry is driven by committed individuals, including the great work of our farmer leaders in all stages of their careers, as well partners who have supported Iowa soybean farmers.”
Awards and criteria are:
· Legacy of Leadership: given to an Iowa soybean farmer who has demonstrated a passionate and relentless commitment to growing the soybean industry in Iowa.
· Rising Star: recognizes the son or daughter of an ISA member who’s actively involved in promoting agriculture through involvement in local, state and national activities and organizations and who is preparing to continue ag studies in college. Eligible nominees are 14-18 years of age (high school students or students who have just graduated from high school).
· Environmental Leader: presented to an ISA member who has demonstrated a commitment to practices that improve environmental performance. The soybean farmer who receives this honor will be nominated for the American Soybean Association Conservation Legacy Award to be presented at this year’s Commodity Classic.
· New Leader: awarded to a district soybean leader who has been involved in his/her District Advisory Council for two years or less, has shown outstanding involvement and possesses the skills and talents to do great things for the soybean industry and agriculture.
· Friend of the Iowa Soybean Farmer: given to an elected leader, media representative or other ISA partner who has supported Iowa Soybean farmers through his/her actions and efforts.
All nominations must be in writing and received no later than Friday, Nov. 1. Nomination information can be accessed at www.iasoybeans.com/awards/ or requested by calling 800-383-1423. Nominations can be submitted by mail to Iowa Soybean Association, Attn: Ann Clinton, 1255 SW Prairie Trail Pkwy, Ankeny, Iowa 50023, or by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Award recipients will be selected by a taskforce of the ISA board of directors, and the awards will be presented during the third annual Iowa Soybean Association Awards Banquet, Thursday, Dec. 12, 2013.
Last year’s award recipients were: Legacy of Leadership, William Merschman, Merschman Seeds, West Point; Friend of the Iowa Soybean Farmer, Ken Anderson, Brownfield Radio Network; Environmental Leader, David Ausberger, Jefferson; New Leader, Tom Wall, Iowa City; and Rising Star, Lexi Marek, Washington.
To learn more about ISA, go to www.iasoybeans.com.