Pella Chronicle

October 29, 2012

Centerville nursing home fined $8,000 after patient dies

By Kyle Ocker
Daily Iowegian

CENTERVILLE — A nursing home in Centerville has been fined $8,000 after state investigators found the nursing home failed to help a dying woman.

The Iowa Department of Inspections and Appeals, Health Facilities Division, says that Golden Age Nursing and Rehabilitation Center in Centerville failed to suction the airway of a patient in their care in a timely manner, eventually causing her death.

The Des Moines Register reports Barbara Logsdon, 64, died on June 22 at the nursing home and is the resident identified in the reports from the Iowa Department of Inspections and Appeals. According to state records, Logsdon had diabetes and her physician had ordered that Logsdon's airway be periodically cleared due to the phlegm that built up in her throat.

Two of Logsdon's daughters work at the facility in the home's laundry and housekeeping departments, according to the Register. Their names are Jennifer Huber and Jill Richmond.

According to the investigation's report, one family member, Huber, had arrived at 7:30 a.m. and began hearing Logsdon yelling out her name. Huber summoned a licensed practical nurse who, according to the report, came to the room, noted she had eight other residents ahead of Logsdon, and left the room without attempting to suction Logsdon.

Minutes later, the second family member, Richmond, entered  the room and witnessed Logsdon in distress. Richmond said she would go find a nurse and left the room.

According to the report, a certified nurse aide entered the room and Huber informed the CNA that Logsdon needing suctioning and was unable to get the licensed practical nurse to help. The CNA propelled Logsdon into the dining room as Huber remained in the Logsdon's room. Within minutes, according to the report, Logsdon was propelled back into the bedroom accompanied by a third staff member, who is a registered nurse.

The RN reportedly walked over to the suction machine and stated "It's not even put together." The report said that an unknown person obtained the container and supplies at the RN began putting the suction machine together.

In an interview on Aug. 6, the RN said that while the machine was being assembled, Logsdon had stopped breathing.

The RN then suctioned Logsdon for two minutes before advising Huber to get the Assistant Director of Nursing.

When the Assistant Director of Nursing arrived they placed a stethoscope on Logsdon's chest while the suctioning continued. The assistant director then looked up at Huber. Huber asked, "Is that it?" and the assistant director replied, "Yes, that's it," according to the report.

Logsdon was pronounced dead at 8:20 a.m., nearly an hour after Huber had discovered Logsdon in her condition.

Just two weeks before Logsdon's death, an over 100 page report had been issued to Golden Age for several violations. The nursing home received two fines totaling $7,000.