A Mystic family lost everything they had but the clothes they were wearing after an early morning fire totaled their home, which has left them without a place to call home and living in a local motel.
Scott and Gidget Dove Arnold along with their 14-year-old daughter, Sammie, managed to escape the fire that started in the basement of their house on Highway T14 on Thursday, Feb. 13 at approximately 1 a.m., step-mother Nancy Dove said.
Dove said the family dog, Max, awakened Gidget with his barking so she went to investigate. What she found was smoke coming out from under the door to the basement and the walls in the dining room were extremely hot to the touch.
The Mystic fire department believes the cause was electrical, Dove said.
Max survived but the family lost several cats.
The Red Cross was contacted and the Arnold family is staying at Motel 60 in Centerville.
Anyone wanting to help the Arnold family may send monetary donations to the Arnold Family Fire Fund, in care of Community 1st Credit Union, 999 N. 18th St., Centerville, IA 52544.
Or you can call Nancy Dove at (641) 895-7198 to make a donation to the Arnold family.