Pella Chronicle

November 2, 2012

Oskaloosa barn fire claims livestock

By ANDY GOODELL
Oskaloosa Herald

OSKALOOSA — A morning fire claimed the lives of several chickens and ducks Friday, Nov. 2, at a barn at the home of Jim and Chris Lewis, 1413 S. Market St.

Oskaloosa Fire Capt. Tim Nance said the Oskaloosa Fire Department received the call about the fire at 7:47 a.m. Friday. They would return to the fire station at 9 a.m. Friday after extinguishing the fire. Seven OFD firefighters were joined on scene by Mahaska Ambulance and the Oskaloosa Police Department, noted Nance.

There were some calves in a pen on the outside of the barn and on the inside they had baby chickens and some ducks, Nance said.

“They didn’t make it,” said Nance of the chickens and ducks.

Nance said a portion of South Market had to be blocked off by Oskaloosa Police because of the loose cattle while the fire department fought the fire. Nance said the cattle were returned to a pen and are doing fine.

Nance said no people were reported injured as a result of the fire. Nance said it was an electrical fire caused by a heat lamp.

On Friday morning, Chris Lewis said she was “pretty upset” by the fire.