Pella — 3 medium beets, scrubbed and trimmed
1/4 cup dark raisins
1/2 cup cider vinegar, boiling
1 tablespoon honey
2 tablespoons diced roasted beets
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup toasted walnut or vegetable oil
1 pound spring mix
1 head romaine, seperated into leaves, and sliced into 1 1/2-inch strips
3 green onions, chopped
1/2 cup walnut pieces, toasted
3 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
1 crisp tart apple, unpeeled, diced
1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. Wrap beets in foil, place on baking sheet and bake 30 to 45 minutes, until crisp-tender. Let cool. Unwrap beets and rinse under cold water to slip off skins. Dice.
3. To prepare vinaigrette, place raisins in a heatproof bowl; pour boiling vinegar over raisins. Let stand 30 minutes or until raisins are plump and liquid is cool. Transfer to food processor or blender.
4. Process until raisins form a dark paste. Add honey, 2 tablespoons diced beets, mustard and salt; continue processing. Gradually add oil. Transer to a bottle or bowl. Refrigerate until 30 minutes before serving time.
5. To prepare salad, combine salad greens and green onions in a large bowl. Toss well. Add walnuts, remaining diced beets, blue cheese and apple.
6. Shake or stir the vinaigrette well. Drizzle about 1/3 of the vinaigrette over salad and toss well. (Store remaining dressing in refrigerator for up to a month).