By Clint Brown
Pella — Cake:
1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 (8-ounce) block cream cheese, at room temp
3 cups granulated sugar
6 large eggs, at room temp
3 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp almond extract
finely grated rind and juice of 1 lime
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
3 TBSP lime juice
1/4 cup powdered sugar, optional
1. Preheat oven to 325F. Grease a 12-cup Bundt pan. Dust pan with flour to prevent sticking.
2. To prepare cake, in a large mixing bowl, cream butter, cream cheese and sugar together on low speed for about 10 minutes until light and fluffy.
3. Beat in eggs alternately with flour, mixing well after each addition. Add salt, vanilla, almond extract, lime juice and peel. Mix until combined. Be careful not to overbeat. If you do, it could dry out the cake.
4. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 1 1/2 hours or until toothpick or cake tester inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Let cool 10 minutes. Turn onto cake plate.
5. To prepare glaze, combine granulated sugar, butter and lime juice in a pan. Bring to a boil and cook 1 minute. Drizzle over warm cake. Let cool completely before dusting with powdered sugar, if using.