Pella — Chicken:
1/4 cup molasses
1/4 cup apple cider
2 garlic cloves
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 medium boneless skinless chicken breast halves
nonstick cooking spray
2 large onions, peeled and cut crosswise into thin slices
1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
1/2 cup water
1 medium crisp apple, cored and diced
2 large green onions, plus additional for optional garnish
1/4 cup chopped pecans, lightly toasted
finely grated rind and juice of 1 medium lime
1/2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon molasses
1. To prepare chicken, blend together molasses, apple cider, garlic, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper in a ziplock plastic bag. Add chicken, seal bag, and turn to coat chicken well. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes, turning occassionally.
2. Preheat oven to 375F. Spray large baking dish with nonstick spray.
3. Place sliced onions in pan. Place chicken breast in a single layer over onions and drizzle marinade mixture over chicken and onions. Cook, uncovered 30 to 40 minutes, until fork can be inserted in chicken with ease.
4. To prepare salsa, place diced sweet potato in a large microwave-safe bowl; add water, cover loosely, and cook in microwave on high 5 minutes. Drain immediately, then rinse with cold water. Drain well, patting dry with paper towels. Place in a bowl with apple, green onions, pecans, lime juice and rind, pepper flakes and molasses, tossing gently.
5. Remove baking dish from the oven; place chicken breasts on a cutting board and tent loosely with foil. Let stand 10 minutes. Spoon onion mixture from baking pan into a saucepan and place over medium-high heat, stirring frequently until onion is softened and mixture is reduced and thickened, about 10 minutes.
6. Cut chicken breasts crosswise into thin slices; serve with onion sauce and salsa.