Pella — Seasoning Mix:
1 1/2 teaspoons each: salt, paprika, thyme leaves, garlic powder, ground black pepper, dry mustard and sugar
3/4 teaspoons each: ground cumin, white pepper and onion powder
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
4 chicken thighs
8 c water or chicken stock
8 oz. andouille sausage
1/2 cup flour
2 c chopped onion
1 1/2 c chopped red or green bell pepper
1 c chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped parsley
1 lb crab meat and shrimp
1. Combine ingredients for seasoning mix.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a Dutch oven. Add chicken. Saute until browned on both sides. Remove chicken from pan to a large saucepan, reserving drippings in Dutch oven. Add 8 cups water to cover chicken and simmer 1 hour. Drain, reserving stock. Bone chicken, reserving meat.
3. Add sausage to reserved drippings, and saute until browned. Remove sausage, reserving drippings in Dutch oven.
4. Add enough oil to drippings to equal about 1/2 cup. Heat and add flour 1/4 cup at a time, stirring until smooth. Cook roux, stirring constantly, until browned and a deep caramel color, 5 to 6 minutes. Add onion, pepper, celery, parsley and 2 tablespoons seasoning mix. (You'll have about a half cup of seasoning mix left over.) Whisk well and cook 10 minutes.
5. Add reserved stock, whisking well and cook 20 minutes or until thickened. Add chicken, sausage and seafood and cook 10 minutes.