Pella — 12 slices (3/4-inch-thick) French or challah bread
1 1/4 cups milk
1/4 cup half-and-half
2 Tbsp maple syrup
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt
1. Butter a 9-by-13-inch baking dish.
2. In large bowl, beat eggs, milk, half-and-half, sugar, syrup, vanilla and salt. Pour over bread.
3. Refrigerate, covered, overnight. Turn slices over once or twice to be sure they are evenly coated.
4. In the morning, bake in a preheated 400F oven for 15 minutes. Turn over and bake for 20 minutes more or until golden brown. Pop under broiler to brown if desired.
5. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Serve with fresh fruit or maple syrup.