Pella — 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces, divided
2 1/2 pounds Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced about 1/4 inch-thick
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 1/4 cups stale plain cake crumbs (such as sponge cake, pound cake or angel food cake) or soft fresh bread crumbs
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1 pinch ground cloves
1 pinch salt
1/3 cup apple cider
vanilla ice cream (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 375F. Generously coat a shallow 1 1/2 quart baking dish with 1 tablespoon butter.
2. Toss together apples and lemon juice in a large bowl.
3. Combine cake crumbs, brown sugar, granulated sugar, cinnamon,allspice, ginger, cloves and salt in a bowl and toss until well mixed.
4. Scatter 3 tablespoons of the crumb mixture onto the bottom of pan and top with half the apples. Drizzle apple cider over apples then top with about the remaining crumb mixture. Dot with half the remaining butter. Repeat with remaining fruit, crumbs and butter.
5. Bake until the apples are bubbly and tender and the crumbs are nicely browned, 45 to 50 minutes. Cool briefly on a wire rack before serving warm with ice cream.