Pella — 5 lbs chicken wings, seperated at joints, wing tips reserved for another use
1 Tbsp Emeril's Original Essence (see cook's note)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground white pepper
2 cups freshly squeezed orange juice
1 cup pineapple juice
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup mirin (sweetened rice wine)
2 Tbsp orange zest
2 Tbsp minced garlic
2 Tbsp minced fresh ginger
1 Tbsp sesame oil
2 Tbsp minced green onion
3/4 tsp crushed red pepper
2 Tbsp sesame seeds
2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 425F and line a baking sheet (one with a depth of 1 inch) with aluminum foil.
2. In a large bowl, season wings with essence, salt and pepper, tossing to coat. Spread wings evenly in a roasting pan. Bake until brown, about 15 minutes.
3. While wings bake, in a large skillet, combine orange juice, pineapple juice, sugar, soy sauce, mirin, orange zest, garlic, ginger, oil, green onion and red pepper. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occassionally, until sugar dissolves and liquid is reduced to a syrup, 7 to 8 minutes. Remove from heat and cover.
4. Remove wings from oven and reduce oven temperature to 350F. Place wings in a large, heatproof bowl. Drizzle half the prepared sauce over wings, reserving other half, and toss to coat well. Sprinkle sesame seeds over wings and toss again. Place a wire cooling rack on a large baking sheet lined with aluminum foil and arrange coated wings on top of rack. Return to oven and bake 20 to 25 minutes more or until cooked through and crispy.
5. Arrange wings on a large serving platter; top with cilantro. Serve with remaining sauce for dipping.
Cook's note: If you don't have Emeril's essence try:
Combine 2 1/2 Tbsp paprika, 2 Tbsp garlic powder, 2 Tbsp salt, and 1 Tbsp each black pepper, onion powder, cayenne pepper, dried leaf oregano and dried thyme. Store in an airtight container.
Makes about 2/3 cup.