Pella — 4 (6-inch) loaves Portuguese stick bread or Italian or French loaves
balsamic-herb vinaigrette (recipe follows)
8 oz sliced provolone cheese
8 oz sliced mortadella
8 oz sliced spicy ham, such as capicola
8 oz sliced salami
1 large ripe tomato, cut into 8 (1/4-inch-thick) slices
12 thin onion slices
12 jarred hot or sweet cherry peppers, drained and roughly chopped
2 cups torn green-leaf lettuce
1. Cut loaves of bread in half lengthwise; arrange in a single layer, cut sides up. Liberally brush bread with vinaigrette. On bottom half of each loaf, evenly layer 1/4 of the provolone, followed by 1/4 of the mortadella, 1/4 of the spicy ham, and 1/4 of the salami. Top each with 2 tomato slices and 3 onion slices. Divide cherry peppers among sandwiches. Stir vinaigrette and generously drizzle over onion and tomato.
2. In a small bowl, toss torn lettuce with some of the remaining vinaigrette. Divide lettuce among sandwiches, top with other halves of bread and serve.
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1 Tbsp chopped fresh basil leaves
1 Tbsp chopped fresh oregano
1 tsp minced garlic
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1. In a small mixing bowl, combine vinegar, basil, oregano, and garlic; whisk well.
2. Continue whisking while drizzling oil in a slow, steady stream. Add salt and pepper and whisk to combine.
3. The vinaigrette may be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.