Pella — Marion County continues to experience extreme winter weather. Single digit temperatures and high winds are continuing throughout County. Motorists should expect snow packed and icy roads through at least Friday. Motor graders have plowed the snow on all rock roads at least one way, however drifting of the snow continues and may cause drift susceptible rock roads to be impassable. With the single digit temperatures, the ice that developed under yesterday’s snow has frozen to the pavement surface. The County paved roads have been plowed numerous times and ice melting chemicals and sand applied, however the low temperatures reduce the effectiveness of those chemicals. If travel is necessary, motorists should drive with extreme caution. Plowing operations will continue at 4:00 AM Friday morning.
- Local News
Supreme Court overturns Court of Appeals decision
The Supreme Court of Iowa issued a ruling today which affirms a District Court ruling that sent a former Pella pastor to prison.
- Lake Red Rock Programs for July 18-20 There’s always something happening at Lake Red Rock! Check out these upcoming activities:July 18 - Iowa History: Just Dig It! - 10:00 a.m.-Playscape (meet at North Overlook Beach at north end of parking lot)Learn about the history of Iowa! From glaci
- Abstract Party for Collegiate Historic District homeowners On July 8, residents of the Collegiate Historic District in Pella were invited to an Abstract Party hosted by the Historic Pella Trust. The Abstract Party was held in the Fireside Room of Second Reformed ChurchLeading the event was Will Page, Public
- Board proceeds with Lincoln plans During a special school board meeting, the Pella board approved a motion to proceed with the completion of the construction documents, including selected alternatives, and to advertise for bids based on the current design of the new Lincoln Elementar
- Antique Appraisal Party at Vriendschap Village Retirement Community It’s time to raid your basement and dust off the collectibles because Vriendschap Village retirement community of Pella will host an Antique Appraisal Party on Thursday, July 24, 1 – 3 p.m.Marie Vander Wert of Pella Thrift Store will help community m
- Balloon Fest a success, even with weather hurdles Crazy, unpredictable weather was the story of this year’s Balloon Fest at Lake Red Rock.Matt Kissinger, event committeeman, said that even with the bad weather the event still brought a lot of excitement to the area. He deemed it an overall success.“
- Regulations increase college costs “In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem.” -President Ronald ReaganThe good intentions of the government at all levels can sometimes bring with them hidden costs. Colleges and other institution
Pella Community Calendar of Events
- 4th of July celebration goes off successfully Perfect weather, large crowds and lots to do made for a memorable 4th of July celebration in Pella on Friday.“We had perfect weather,” Paul Kingma, who served as organizer of Pella’s 4th of July celebration, said. “Kids were already standing in line
- Celebrating 35 years of hot rods The last 35 years has gone by quick. This weekend, July 11-12, the 35th Annual Bologna Nationals Classic Car Show, hosted by Resurrected Tin, will be held in Pella.Resurrected Tin is a local classic car organization.“It was started by a group of hot
- More Local News Headlines
- Supreme Court overturns Court of Appeals decision