October 25 Historic Pella Trust Beef Bash
Join the Historic Pella Trust for a fall Preservation Fundraising Kickoff! Marion County Beef Producers will barbeque hamburgers. The $5 meal will include burger, chips, drink, and homemade dessert. Will also be band music! Event held on Liberty Street between Main Street and the 2nd Reformed Church's Alleyway. 4:30-6:30 pm.
October 25 Central College Winter Sports Preview/Ice Cream Social
Central College fans are invited to a "Meet the coaches" ice cream social in the Graham Conference Center on Thursday, Oct. 25 at 6:30 pm. Free; open to the public. Fans will get an update on Dutch athletics, with a focus on previewing the winter sports season.
October 25 Bingo Night
Have fun playing Bingo! Proceeds benefit St. Mary's Catholic Church. Children 10-17 welcome with an adult. Held every Thursday from 6:30-9 pm at 1203 Peace Street (old church). Game prices range from $0.50 to 2.00 a game or $17 for a game packet. For more information contact Peggy Moriarity at 641-628-1549.
October 25-27 Pella Christian High School's Theatre Troupe presents "Footloose"
Enjoy some great entertainment and support Pella Christian High School's Theatre Troupe by attending "Footloose". Performances will be October 25, 26, and 27 at 7 pm each evening at Pella Christian High School's Vermeer Auditorium. Tickets are reserved seating: Cost is $6 for adults and $4 for students. For more information, see www.pceagles.org/dramahome.cfm or call 641-628-4440.
October 26-28 Central College presents Flying Pans Fall Show
Come and listen to the sounds of Flying Pans, a steel pan drum band! In Douwstra Auditorium. Showtimes are 7:30 pm October 26, 7:30 pm October 27, and 4 pm October 28. Entry cost is $8 for adults, $5 for seniors and children, and free with Central ID.
October 26 Preventing Elder Fraud and Financial Abuse
Think you'd recognize a rip off? You'd be surprised. Five million seniors are financially exploited annually and many victims don't even realize it. Joining us to make sure it doesn't happen to you will be Christine Wilcox of MidWestOne Bank as well as the Pella Police Department. Bring your questions, these experts will arm you with information you need to protect yourself from being scammed! Please RSVP by October 24 to 1-888-720-4734. At Vriendschap Village, 2-3 pm.
October 26 Ducks Unlimited Annual Event & Dinner (Lake Red Rock Chapter)
Support waterfowl and wetlands conservation by attending the Ducks Unlimited Annual Membership Banquet! Banquet will be held at Central College's Graham Annex, 812 University Street. Doors open at 5:30, dinner at 6:45. Ticket Costs are $40 per person or $60 per couple; membership in Ducks Unlimited is included with ticket price. Various raffles will be available, including raffle for shotgun, cash, and more. Registrations postmarked October 12 or before can be entered for $100 "earlybird" cash drawing. Other prizes and sponsorship options are available, see registration form.
October 26 Pathways of Pella Fall Fundraiser
Pathways of Pella is hosting a banquet and silent auction to raise money for their programs. Banquet cost is free-will donation and will begin at 7 pm. Hear Sue Thayer speak about her experience as a longtime Planned Parenthood employee who was fired for disagreeing with tele-med abortion. Silent auction will begin at 5:30 pm, a list of auction items will be available at www.pathwayspella.org. Reservations are required no later than October 15. Or, invite 8 of your friends and be hostesses at this event. Call 641-628-4827 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
October 26 Central College presents Flying Pans Fall Show
Hear the music of Flying Pans! Douwstra Auditorium, 7:30 pm, $8 adult admission/ $5 seniors and children/ students free with Central ID.
October 27 Keeping it Real 2012 Women's Conference
Lysa TerKeurst, founder of Proverbs 31 Ministries and author of the New York Times bestseller, "Made to Crave", is the featured speaker at this conference. Tickets are $35, and are available at the Third Church Welcome Center on Sunday mornings, in the church office during business hours, and at The Sanctuary Christian Book Store in Pella. Cost includes lunch and a copy of "Unglued", Lysa's latest book. For more information, see www.pellawomensconference.wordpress.com . 9 am to
3 pm at Third Church.
October 27 De Bloemen Hof presents Winterizing Your Garden
When should I prune back my perennials? How far should I cut? When do I cover my bushes? How do I prepare my garden beds for next year? The answers to these and many other questions will be answered by our on-staff garden coaches, who will share their experiences and proven methods so you can help your plants survive the winter. Free to attend. 11 am at 2017 Washington Street (Across from Fareway).
October 28 First Baptist Church presents Blue Grass Music: The Other Mountain Remnant
Hear the bluegrass music of "The Other Mountain Remnant"! Concert will be at the First Baptist Church (Corner of Broadway and Independence) at 4 pm. Reception to Follow, freewill donations accepted.
October 25 Historic Pella Trust Beef Bash
- Local News
- Change order approved for the Pella Sports Park A resolution approving Change Order #2 in the amount of $47,604 with Todd Hackett Construction Co. for the Pella Sports Park was approved last week by council. Listed below is a summary of the change order: Change Order Summary 1. Warning Track & Fou
- The tulips are blooming ... As of this writing, on the south side of the Information Windmill in Central Plaza there are a few yellow tulips that have bloomed. And I have it on good authority that with the warmer temperatures (especially the overnight temperatures) this week th
- Pella Farmer's Market ready to go in 2014 For 2014, the Pella Farmer's Market would like to continue holding the Farmer's Market in the parking area at First Reformed Church, 603 Broadway on Thursdays from 3-6 p.m. The Market is scheduled to run from April 24 - October with no event held the
- New section of the Volksweg now open The 1.25 mile newly constructed section of the paved Volksweg Trail between Fifield Recreation Area and the new Robert's Creek Trailhead has been opened. The new section of The Robert's Creek Trailhead has additional work to be completed before it ca
- Historic Preservation Committee During last week's regular meeting, the Pella City Council approved an ad hoc Historic Preservation Committee. At the February 18, 2014 City Council meeting, the Pella Historic Trust presented a proposal for consideration of the establishment of a hi
Tulip Time schedule
Tulip Time is just around the corner. Here's the complete schedule for events.
- Central College hosts STEM fest and town hall meeting with lieutenant governor
The Mango Tree opens tomorrow in Pella
Located at 720 Main St.
On a wing and a prayer
LAKE RED ROCK — Protective gloves aren’t uncommon when dealing with a sick patient, though they’re not usually heavy, leather welder’s gloves. But, then, the patient usually doesn’t have toenails designed to puncture flesh. Or a sharp beak. Diane Mas
- Live entertainment slated for Tulip Time This year's line-up for Festhouden, which will begin at 7 p.m. each evening of Tulip Time, has been announced. Festhouden will take place on the Tulip Toren located on the south side of Pella's square. Grandstand tickets for Festhouden and the evenin
- More Local News Headlines