October 25 Historic Pella Trust Beef Bash
Join the Historic Pella Trust for a fall Preservation Fundraising Kickoff! Marion County Beef Producers will barbeque hamburgers. The $5 meal will include burger, chips, drink, and homemade dessert. Will also be band music! Event held on Liberty Street between Main Street and the 2nd Reformed Church's Alleyway. 4:30-6:30 pm.
October 25 Central College Winter Sports Preview/Ice Cream Social
Central College fans are invited to a "Meet the coaches" ice cream social in the Graham Conference Center on Thursday, Oct. 25 at 6:30 pm. Free; open to the public. Fans will get an update on Dutch athletics, with a focus on previewing the winter sports season.
October 25 Bingo Night
Have fun playing Bingo! Proceeds benefit St. Mary's Catholic Church. Children 10-17 welcome with an adult. Held every Thursday from 6:30-9 pm at 1203 Peace Street (old church). Game prices range from $0.50 to 2.00 a game or $17 for a game packet. For more information contact Peggy Moriarity at 641-628-1549.
October 25-27 Pella Christian High School's Theatre Troupe presents "Footloose"
Enjoy some great entertainment and support Pella Christian High School's Theatre Troupe by attending "Footloose". Performances will be October 25, 26, and 27 at 7 pm each evening at Pella Christian High School's Vermeer Auditorium. Tickets are reserved seating: Cost is $6 for adults and $4 for students. For more information, see www.pceagles.org/dramahome.cfm or call 641-628-4440.
October 26-28 Central College presents Flying Pans Fall Show
Come and listen to the sounds of Flying Pans, a steel pan drum band! In Douwstra Auditorium. Showtimes are 7:30 pm October 26, 7:30 pm October 27, and 4 pm October 28. Entry cost is $8 for adults, $5 for seniors and children, and free with Central ID.
October 26 Preventing Elder Fraud and Financial Abuse
Think you'd recognize a rip off? You'd be surprised. Five million seniors are financially exploited annually and many victims don't even realize it. Joining us to make sure it doesn't happen to you will be Christine Wilcox of MidWestOne Bank as well as the Pella Police Department. Bring your questions, these experts will arm you with information you need to protect yourself from being scammed! Please RSVP by October 24 to 1-888-720-4734. At Vriendschap Village, 2-3 pm.
October 26 Ducks Unlimited Annual Event & Dinner (Lake Red Rock Chapter)
Support waterfowl and wetlands conservation by attending the Ducks Unlimited Annual Membership Banquet! Banquet will be held at Central College's Graham Annex, 812 University Street. Doors open at 5:30, dinner at 6:45. Ticket Costs are $40 per person or $60 per couple; membership in Ducks Unlimited is included with ticket price. Various raffles will be available, including raffle for shotgun, cash, and more. Registrations postmarked October 12 or before can be entered for $100 "earlybird" cash drawing. Other prizes and sponsorship options are available, see registration form.
October 26 Pathways of Pella Fall Fundraiser
Pathways of Pella is hosting a banquet and silent auction to raise money for their programs. Banquet cost is free-will donation and will begin at 7 pm. Hear Sue Thayer speak about her experience as a longtime Planned Parenthood employee who was fired for disagreeing with tele-med abortion. Silent auction will begin at 5:30 pm, a list of auction items will be available at www.pathwayspella.org. Reservations are required no later than October 15. Or, invite 8 of your friends and be hostesses at this event. Call 641-628-4827 or e-mail email@example.com.
October 26 Central College presents Flying Pans Fall Show
Hear the music of Flying Pans! Douwstra Auditorium, 7:30 pm, $8 adult admission/ $5 seniors and children/ students free with Central ID.
October 27 Keeping it Real 2012 Women's Conference
Lysa TerKeurst, founder of Proverbs 31 Ministries and author of the New York Times bestseller, "Made to Crave", is the featured speaker at this conference. Tickets are $35, and are available at the Third Church Welcome Center on Sunday mornings, in the church office during business hours, and at The Sanctuary Christian Book Store in Pella. Cost includes lunch and a copy of "Unglued", Lysa's latest book. For more information, see www.pellawomensconference.wordpress.com . 9 am to
3 pm at Third Church.
October 27 De Bloemen Hof presents Winterizing Your Garden
When should I prune back my perennials? How far should I cut? When do I cover my bushes? How do I prepare my garden beds for next year? The answers to these and many other questions will be answered by our on-staff garden coaches, who will share their experiences and proven methods so you can help your plants survive the winter. Free to attend. 11 am at 2017 Washington Street (Across from Fareway).
October 28 First Baptist Church presents Blue Grass Music: The Other Mountain Remnant
Hear the bluegrass music of "The Other Mountain Remnant"! Concert will be at the First Baptist Church (Corner of Broadway and Independence) at 4 pm. Reception to Follow, freewill donations accepted.
October 25 Historic Pella Trust Beef Bash
- Local News
Supreme Court overturns Court of Appeals decision
The Supreme Court of Iowa issued a ruling today which affirms a District Court ruling that sent a former Pella pastor to prison.
- Lake Red Rock Programs for July 18-20 There’s always something happening at Lake Red Rock! Check out these upcoming activities:July 18 - Iowa History: Just Dig It! - 10:00 a.m.-Playscape (meet at North Overlook Beach at north end of parking lot)Learn about the history of Iowa! From glaci
- Abstract Party for Collegiate Historic District homeowners On July 8, residents of the Collegiate Historic District in Pella were invited to an Abstract Party hosted by the Historic Pella Trust. The Abstract Party was held in the Fireside Room of Second Reformed ChurchLeading the event was Will Page, Public
- Board proceeds with Lincoln plans During a special school board meeting, the Pella board approved a motion to proceed with the completion of the construction documents, including selected alternatives, and to advertise for bids based on the current design of the new Lincoln Elementar
- Antique Appraisal Party at Vriendschap Village Retirement Community It’s time to raid your basement and dust off the collectibles because Vriendschap Village retirement community of Pella will host an Antique Appraisal Party on Thursday, July 24, 1 – 3 p.m.Marie Vander Wert of Pella Thrift Store will help community m
- Balloon Fest a success, even with weather hurdles Crazy, unpredictable weather was the story of this year’s Balloon Fest at Lake Red Rock.Matt Kissinger, event committeeman, said that even with the bad weather the event still brought a lot of excitement to the area. He deemed it an overall success.“
- Regulations increase college costs “In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem.” -President Ronald ReaganThe good intentions of the government at all levels can sometimes bring with them hidden costs. Colleges and other institution
Pella Community Calendar of Events
- 4th of July celebration goes off successfully Perfect weather, large crowds and lots to do made for a memorable 4th of July celebration in Pella on Friday.“We had perfect weather,” Paul Kingma, who served as organizer of Pella’s 4th of July celebration, said. “Kids were already standing in line
- Celebrating 35 years of hot rods The last 35 years has gone by quick. This weekend, July 11-12, the 35th Annual Bologna Nationals Classic Car Show, hosted by Resurrected Tin, will be held in Pella.Resurrected Tin is a local classic car organization.“It was started by a group of hot
- More Local News Headlines
- Supreme Court overturns Court of Appeals decision