October 25 Historic Pella Trust Beef Bash
Join the Historic Pella Trust for a fall Preservation Fundraising Kickoff! Marion County Beef Producers will barbeque hamburgers. The $5 meal will include burger, chips, drink, and homemade dessert. Will also be band music! Event held on Liberty Street between Main Street and the 2nd Reformed Church's Alleyway. 4:30-6:30 pm.
October 25 Central College Winter Sports Preview/Ice Cream Social
Central College fans are invited to a "Meet the coaches" ice cream social in the Graham Conference Center on Thursday, Oct. 25 at 6:30 pm. Free; open to the public. Fans will get an update on Dutch athletics, with a focus on previewing the winter sports season.
October 25 Bingo Night
Have fun playing Bingo! Proceeds benefit St. Mary's Catholic Church. Children 10-17 welcome with an adult. Held every Thursday from 6:30-9 pm at 1203 Peace Street (old church). Game prices range from $0.50 to 2.00 a game or $17 for a game packet. For more information contact Peggy Moriarity at 641-628-1549.
October 25-27 Pella Christian High School's Theatre Troupe presents "Footloose"
Enjoy some great entertainment and support Pella Christian High School's Theatre Troupe by attending "Footloose". Performances will be October 25, 26, and 27 at 7 pm each evening at Pella Christian High School's Vermeer Auditorium. Tickets are reserved seating: Cost is $6 for adults and $4 for students. For more information, see www.pceagles.org/dramahome.cfm or call 641-628-4440.
October 26-28 Central College presents Flying Pans Fall Show
Come and listen to the sounds of Flying Pans, a steel pan drum band! In Douwstra Auditorium. Showtimes are 7:30 pm October 26, 7:30 pm October 27, and 4 pm October 28. Entry cost is $8 for adults, $5 for seniors and children, and free with Central ID.
October 26 Preventing Elder Fraud and Financial Abuse
Think you'd recognize a rip off? You'd be surprised. Five million seniors are financially exploited annually and many victims don't even realize it. Joining us to make sure it doesn't happen to you will be Christine Wilcox of MidWestOne Bank as well as the Pella Police Department. Bring your questions, these experts will arm you with information you need to protect yourself from being scammed! Please RSVP by October 24 to 1-888-720-4734. At Vriendschap Village, 2-3 pm.
October 26 Ducks Unlimited Annual Event & Dinner (Lake Red Rock Chapter)
Support waterfowl and wetlands conservation by attending the Ducks Unlimited Annual Membership Banquet! Banquet will be held at Central College's Graham Annex, 812 University Street. Doors open at 5:30, dinner at 6:45. Ticket Costs are $40 per person or $60 per couple; membership in Ducks Unlimited is included with ticket price. Various raffles will be available, including raffle for shotgun, cash, and more. Registrations postmarked October 12 or before can be entered for $100 "earlybird" cash drawing. Other prizes and sponsorship options are available, see registration form.
October 26 Pathways of Pella Fall Fundraiser
Pathways of Pella is hosting a banquet and silent auction to raise money for their programs. Banquet cost is free-will donation and will begin at 7 pm. Hear Sue Thayer speak about her experience as a longtime Planned Parenthood employee who was fired for disagreeing with tele-med abortion. Silent auction will begin at 5:30 pm, a list of auction items will be available at www.pathwayspella.org. Reservations are required no later than October 15. Or, invite 8 of your friends and be hostesses at this event. Call 641-628-4827 or e-mail email@example.com.
October 26 Central College presents Flying Pans Fall Show
Hear the music of Flying Pans! Douwstra Auditorium, 7:30 pm, $8 adult admission/ $5 seniors and children/ students free with Central ID.
October 27 Keeping it Real 2012 Women's Conference
Lysa TerKeurst, founder of Proverbs 31 Ministries and author of the New York Times bestseller, "Made to Crave", is the featured speaker at this conference. Tickets are $35, and are available at the Third Church Welcome Center on Sunday mornings, in the church office during business hours, and at The Sanctuary Christian Book Store in Pella. Cost includes lunch and a copy of "Unglued", Lysa's latest book. For more information, see www.pellawomensconference.wordpress.com . 9 am to
3 pm at Third Church.
October 27 De Bloemen Hof presents Winterizing Your Garden
When should I prune back my perennials? How far should I cut? When do I cover my bushes? How do I prepare my garden beds for next year? The answers to these and many other questions will be answered by our on-staff garden coaches, who will share their experiences and proven methods so you can help your plants survive the winter. Free to attend. 11 am at 2017 Washington Street (Across from Fareway).
October 28 First Baptist Church presents Blue Grass Music: The Other Mountain Remnant
Hear the bluegrass music of "The Other Mountain Remnant"! Concert will be at the First Baptist Church (Corner of Broadway and Independence) at 4 pm. Reception to Follow, freewill donations accepted.
October 25 Historic Pella Trust Beef Bash
- Local News
Strawtown Gallery presents Ryan Bentzinger, Rome: Show & Tell & Sale
Tuesday, July 29, 6-8 p.m.
- Summer Fun for Families: Seussical the Musical
Pella Community Calendar of Events
June 25 - Aug. 2
Republicans to hold events
The Marion County Republicans are holding events in Knoxville and Pella Saturday, July 26.
Marion County photo contest winners
Winners of the 2014 Marion County Photo Contest were announced at the Marion County Fair.
- Military Retiree Appreciation Day Aug. 28 near Pella A military Retiree Appreciation Day will be held Thursday, Aug. 28 at the Prairie Meadows Race Track and Casino in Altoona, Iowa. Retirees from all branches of the armed forces and their family members are eligible to attend. The event will run from
- Nurses flourish at PRHC with Pathway to Excellence Pella Regional Health Center has again achieved Pathway to Excellence® designation from the American Nurses Credentialing Center. The Pathway to Excellence recognition is earned by health care organizations nationwide that create work environments wh
- Lake Red Rock Programs for July 25-30 There’s always something happening at Lake Red Rock! Check out these upcoming programs: July 25 - “Thief in the Night” - 7:00 p.m. - Howell Station CampgroundProblem: A critter of the night consistently raises havoc with backyard bird feeders. Action
- USDA's NRCS wetland compliance listening session set for July 28 USDA’s Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) will host a listening session on Monday, July 28, to seek comments on proposed changes to wetland compliance provisions. The session will be at Ankeny Fire Station #1, 120 NW Ash Drive, from 1 p.m.
- Pella Runway Rehabilitation Project continues along The Pella City Council, during last week’s meeting, approved a resolution, following a public hearing on the matter, for plans, specifications, form of contract, receiving bids, making award of contract to TK Concrete, and issuing notice to proceed a
- More Local News Headlines
- Strawtown Gallery presents Ryan Bentzinger, Rome: Show & Tell & Sale