Special Day - See slideshow
Prior to Christmas break on Dec. 13, Ian Davidson, a first grade student at Madison Elementary, received quite the surprise party. Davidson who was diagnosed when he was three-years-old with leukemia, is now cancer free. His class (taught by Mrs. Deb Fessler) thought it would be the right thing to do to celebrate the great news Ian had received. Davidson had his final chemotherapy on Dec. 14, his final surgery (to remove port) was Dec. 27 and his last oral chemotherapy this past Saturday (Dec. 29). As part of the celebration t-shirts were made to say 'Thumbs up - #1 Ian' on the on the front in black and gold for Ian's favorite college team - the Iowa Hawkeyes and on the back of the shirts they read 'Team Ian' for in purple and gold for Mrs. Fessler's favorite team - the UNI Panthers. After hearing the plans to celebrate with Ian, Pella Hy-Vee donated a sheetcake for our party. The cake designer was Angie Van Wyk (who lost a nephew to cancer herself and was so happy to be a part of Ian's story. Ian is the son of Ross and Heidi Davidson. Ian’s siblings are Elena and Micah.
- Local News
Vander Linden's position on gas tax remains the same
Rep. Guy VanderLinden (R-Oskaloosa) remains opposed to a gas tax increase without offsetting the increase with a decrease in another tax.
Board of Supervisors meets Tuesday
The Marion County Board of Supervisors will meet in regular session Tuesday, Dec. 10, at 9 a.m.
DOT offers advice for cold, snowy weekend
The Iowa Department of Transportation has shared some more driving tips for snowy weather. Marion County is expected to see snow this weekend.
- Hearthstone names Pella resident as Assisted Living Director at The Cottages Hearthstone, a Ministry of WesleyLife is excited to announce Jennifer West, RN, Certified Assisted Living Manager; as the Director of Assisted Living at The Cottages-an innovative health living community for older adults which is set to welcome its f
- Audit report released for PCSD Van Maanen, Sietstra & Meyer, PC, Certified Public Accountants today released an audit report on the Pella Community School District in Pella, Iowa. The District's revenues totaled $27,394,928 for the year ended June 30, 2013, a 2.42 percent increase
- Vriendschap Village encourages families to be aware, 'have talk' November was World Alzheimer's Month, and Vriendschap Village retirement community of Pella, encourages adult children to pay close attention to any changes they may notice in their senior parents, especially as the holiday season is approaching. "Wi
- Pella students participate in Mock Trial Each year Pella Community Middle School participates in Mock Trial through the Iowa Bar Association. This year, Pella had two teams participate: one 6th grade team and one 7th and 8th grade mixed team. Each team worked diligently for several weeks to
- Lincoln Elementary, Jefferson Intermediate students help set stacking world record With help from 369 stackers at Lincoln Elementary and Jefferson Intermediate Schools, a new world record was set on November 14th as part of the 2013 STACK UP! According to the World Sport Stacking Association (WSSA), this year's event exceeded all e
Central College events
Wondering what to do now that Thanksgiving is over? Central College has some suggestions.
Supervisors approve County Engineer work agreement
The Marion County Board of Supervisors met Monday morning in special session to approve a work agreement with Tyler Christian, the new County Engineer.
- More Local News Headlines
- Vander Linden's position on gas tax remains the same