In June 2013, the Volksweg multi-purpose paved trail was designated as a National Recreation Trail along with 28 other trails by the Secretary of the Interior. The Volksweg Trail, funded through the Greenbelt program, is one of the most used facilities at Lake Red Rock. The 14 mile trail connects the north side recreation areas around the lake. Additionally, the trail connects to the city of Pella, developed by a local group; and a nearby housing development completed a connection spur to the trail. The trail offers scenic views of the Des Moines River and Lake Red Rock, and traverses timbered areas, restored prairies, pine plantations and open fields. A connection to Des Moines’s trail network is conceptually planned.
- Local News
Strawtown Gallery presents Ryan Bentzinger, Rome: Show & Tell & Sale
Tuesday, July 29, 6-8 p.m.
- Summer Fun for Families: Seussical the Musical
Pella Community Calendar of Events
June 25 - Aug. 2
Republicans to hold events
The Marion County Republicans are holding events in Knoxville and Pella Saturday, July 26.
Marion County photo contest winners
Winners of the 2014 Marion County Photo Contest were announced at the Marion County Fair.
- Military Retiree Appreciation Day Aug. 28 near Pella A military Retiree Appreciation Day will be held Thursday, Aug. 28 at the Prairie Meadows Race Track and Casino in Altoona, Iowa. Retirees from all branches of the armed forces and their family members are eligible to attend. The event will run from
- Nurses flourish at PRHC with Pathway to Excellence Pella Regional Health Center has again achieved Pathway to Excellence® designation from the American Nurses Credentialing Center. The Pathway to Excellence recognition is earned by health care organizations nationwide that create work environments wh
- Lake Red Rock Programs for July 25-30 There’s always something happening at Lake Red Rock! Check out these upcoming programs: July 25 - “Thief in the Night” - 7:00 p.m. - Howell Station CampgroundProblem: A critter of the night consistently raises havoc with backyard bird feeders. Action
- USDA's NRCS wetland compliance listening session set for July 28 USDA’s Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) will host a listening session on Monday, July 28, to seek comments on proposed changes to wetland compliance provisions. The session will be at Ankeny Fire Station #1, 120 NW Ash Drive, from 1 p.m.
- Pella Runway Rehabilitation Project continues along The Pella City Council, during last week’s meeting, approved a resolution, following a public hearing on the matter, for plans, specifications, form of contract, receiving bids, making award of contract to TK Concrete, and issuing notice to proceed a
- More Local News Headlines
- Strawtown Gallery presents Ryan Bentzinger, Rome: Show & Tell & Sale