The City of Pella welcomed Sinterklaas, the Dutch Santa, on a mild Saturday morning, November 24.
The 10 a.m. parade was organized by Merlyn Vander Leest who has been parade master for all 36 Sinterklaas parades.
Appearing in the parade were costumed children, the Pella Dutchesses pushing the decorated Dutch carts, the 2013 Tulip Queen & Court, Dick Redman and the Sinterklaas band, Boy Scout flag bearers, Sinterklaas and his Piets on the Kiwanis Sinterklaas boat, Town Crier Kelvin Bokhoven, Burgemeester Randy Sikkema and the Pella Police who led the parade.
The official proclamation was read by Town Crier Bokhoven, the Sinterklaas history was told by Burgemeester Randy Sikkema with Mayor Jim Mueller welcoming Sinterklaas to Pella. During Sinterklaas’ response he asked his Piets to search the crowd for naughty children. Finding none they put the Sinterklaas sack away.
2013 Tulip Queen Marlee Bokhoven announced the names of the children in the parade. The Sinterklaas band entertained with holiday Sinterklaas music.
The Sinterklaas Breakfast was held at Monarch’s in the Royal Amsterdam Hotel. Beverly Graves served as Mistress of Ceremonies at the Opera House Theater Party. Davis Folkerts played Sinterklaas songs on the Barton theater organ before the party began.
Sinterklaas read aloud each child’s name and good deeds from his big Sinterklaas book. Each child received a chocolate letter in the shape of an S for Sinterklaas while they were on stage. Large Sinterklaas cookies were given to each child by the Piets as they left the theater. The morning festivities ended with a time for photos with Sinterklaas.
Serving on the Sinterklaas Committee which is sponsored by the Pella Historical Society were Kay De Cook, Karen De Haan, Randy Sikkema and Merlyn Vander Leest with Patsy Sadler as coordinator.
- Local News
PCHS Society approves joint Long Range Planning Committee for Christian Education in South Central Iowa
Motion #1 - Passed with 72%, Motion #2 - Failed with 62% (needed 67%)
Pella Community Calendar of Events
March 6 - 16
- Ag in the Classroom event held - See slideshow Fourth graders from throughout Marion County learned about agriculture on today, March 6, at the Marion County Farm Bureau’s Ag in the Classroom event held at the Vermeer Global Pavilion in Pella. Classes from Knoxville, Twin Cedars, Melcher-Dallas, Pella, Pella Christian, and home-schooled students rotated among several learning stations to gain insight into various aspects of agriculture. Heather Bandstra, Lindsey Jansen and Drew Carlson provided animals for the students to see. The Twin Cedars FFA Chapter also assisted the students during the event.
- Pella Students to serve during Spring Break Stephen Dykstra, Hannah Wittenberg and Sarah Wittenberg are three of 177 students from Northwestern College that will travel across the United States and overseas for the college's annual Spring Service Projects (SSP) March 1-11. This year's teams wi
- Assessor test dates scheduled Statewide examinations for positions of deputy assessor and assessor have been scheduled for April, according to Courtney M. Kay-Decker, Director of the Iowa Department of Revenue. The examination for deputy assessor will be held Saturday, April 5, a
- Pella CSD selected for first teacher leadership Superintendent Greg Ebeling recently announced that the Pella Community School District is in the first group of Iowa school districts selected to launch teacher leadership systems next school year. Teacher leadership systems will allow teachers
- Martin elected Student Body President at Wartburg College Jacob Martin, of Pella, has been elected Wartburg College Student Body President for the 2014-15 school year alongside vice president Teri Mueller, according to a release last week. Martin and Mueller received 51.15 percent of the vote, edging Nicole
- Pella actors in 'Les Miserables' Sara Collins, Annie Foskett, Greg May, and Pat Moriarity have been rehearsing since December in Newton Community Theatre's upcoming new production of Boublil and Schonberg's "Les Miserables." With a cast of over 50 area actors they are excited to bri
- Pella Chamber presents Hall of Fame Awards The Pella Chamber of Commerce honored five Hall of Fame Excellence Award recipients at their Annual Membership Meeting on Friday, February 28, 2014. Recipients were selected for the impact each has on the community, quality of life, and economy of Pe
- Heart for Hospice? Be a Hospice of Pella volunteer Do you have a heart for Hospice? Be a Hospice of Pella volunteer. These important volunteers are members of the community that donate their time in service of those Hospice of Pella serves. The goal is to match a volunteer's strengths and interests t
- More Local News Headlines
- PCHS Society approves joint Long Range Planning Committee for Christian Education in South Central Iowa