Pella — Fifteen high school students and two teachers from Culemborg, Gelderland province in the Netherlands will be visiting the Pella area during this year’s Tulip Time festival. The students will be staying with host families throughout the Lynnville-Sully area and will participate in several activities during their visit to Pella including visiting classrooms at Pella Grade School and Pella Middle School, singing the Dutch anthem Thursday afternoon at the Tulip Tower, and riding a float in the Volk’s Parade. Their teacher, Kate van Wijck – Carrero, grew up in central California but fell in love with Central College and the entire Pella community so decided to make the move from California to Iowa. During her senior year at Central Kate studied abroad in Colchester, England before doing her student teaching with Jeff Corbett at Lynnville-Sully middle school. Following her Dutch roots she moved to Culemborg, the Netherlands where she nannied off and on for about 3 years. After earning her Dutch language certificate she applied for a teaching job at the local secondary school, Koningin Wilhelmina College, where she is now in her 11th year of teaching.
- Local News
Central College events schedule
Looking for something to do? Here's Central College's list of suggestions.
Vander Linden's position on gas tax remains the same
Rep. Guy VanderLinden (R-Oskaloosa) remains opposed to a gas tax increase without offsetting the increase with a decrease in another tax.
Board of Supervisors meets Tuesday
The Marion County Board of Supervisors will meet in regular session Tuesday, Dec. 10, at 9 a.m.
DOT offers advice for cold, snowy weekend
The Iowa Department of Transportation has shared some more driving tips for snowy weather. Marion County is expected to see snow this weekend.
- Hearthstone names Pella resident as Assisted Living Director at The Cottages Hearthstone, a Ministry of WesleyLife is excited to announce Jennifer West, RN, Certified Assisted Living Manager; as the Director of Assisted Living at The Cottages-an innovative health living community for older adults which is set to welcome its f
- Vriendschap Village encourages families to be aware, 'have talk' November was World Alzheimer's Month, and Vriendschap Village retirement community of Pella, encourages adult children to pay close attention to any changes they may notice in their senior parents, especially as the holiday season is approaching. "Wi
Audit report released for PCSD
Van Maanen, Sietstra & Meyer, PC, Certified Public Accountants today released an audit report on the Pella Community School District in Pella, Iowa. The District's revenues totaled $27,394,928 for the year ended June 30, 2013, a 2.42 percent increase
- Pella students participate in Mock Trial Each year Pella Community Middle School participates in Mock Trial through the Iowa Bar Association. This year, Pella had two teams participate: one 6th grade team and one 7th and 8th grade mixed team. Each team worked diligently for several weeks to
- Lincoln Elementary, Jefferson Intermediate students help set stacking world record With help from 369 stackers at Lincoln Elementary and Jefferson Intermediate Schools, a new world record was set on November 14th as part of the 2013 STACK UP! According to the World Sport Stacking Association (WSSA), this year's event exceeded all e
Central College events
Wondering what to do now that Thanksgiving is over? Central College has some suggestions.
- More Local News Headlines
- Central College events schedule