Pella — Fifteen high school students and two teachers from Culemborg, Gelderland province in the Netherlands will be visiting the Pella area during this year’s Tulip Time festival. The students will be staying with host families throughout the Lynnville-Sully area and will participate in several activities during their visit to Pella including visiting classrooms at Pella Grade School and Pella Middle School, singing the Dutch anthem Thursday afternoon at the Tulip Tower, and riding a float in the Volk’s Parade. Their teacher, Kate van Wijck – Carrero, grew up in central California but fell in love with Central College and the entire Pella community so decided to make the move from California to Iowa. During her senior year at Central Kate studied abroad in Colchester, England before doing her student teaching with Jeff Corbett at Lynnville-Sully middle school. Following her Dutch roots she moved to Culemborg, the Netherlands where she nannied off and on for about 3 years. After earning her Dutch language certificate she applied for a teaching job at the local secondary school, Koningin Wilhelmina College, where she is now in her 11th year of teaching.
- Local News
- Military Retiree Appreciation Day Aug. 28 near Pella A military Retiree Appreciation Day will be held Thursday, Aug. 28 at the Prairie Meadows Race Track and Casino in Altoona, Iowa. Retirees from all branches of the armed forces and their family members are eligible to attend. The event will run from
- Nurses flourish at PRHC with Pathway to Excellence Pella Regional Health Center has again achieved Pathway to Excellence® designation from the American Nurses Credentialing Center. The Pathway to Excellence recognition is earned by health care organizations nationwide that create work environments wh
- Lake Red Rock Programs for July 25-30 There’s always something happening at Lake Red Rock! Check out these upcoming programs: July 25 - “Thief in the Night” - 7:00 p.m. - Howell Station CampgroundProblem: A critter of the night consistently raises havoc with backyard bird feeders. Action
- USDA's NRCS wetland compliance listening session set for July 28 USDA’s Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) will host a listening session on Monday, July 28, to seek comments on proposed changes to wetland compliance provisions. The session will be at Ankeny Fire Station #1, 120 NW Ash Drive, from 1 p.m.
- Pella Runway Rehabilitation Project continues along The Pella City Council, during last week’s meeting, approved a resolution, following a public hearing on the matter, for plans, specifications, form of contract, receiving bids, making award of contract to TK Concrete, and issuing notice to proceed a
- Photo contest winners named Winners of the 2014 Marion County Photo Contest were announced last week at the Marion County Fair. The annual Contest is sponsored by Marion County Extension & Outreach and the Marion County Development commission (MCDC). This year nearly 300 photos
- Pella blooms for judges, now waits for results Last week (July 14-15), America in Bloom volunteer judges Bruce Riggs (New York) and Leslie Pittenger (Ohio) visited Pella. In preparation for the visit the City of Pella’s Community Services Department prepared a tour route for the judges that cover
Supreme Court overturns Court of Appeals decision
The Supreme Court of Iowa issued a ruling today which affirms a District Court ruling that sent a former Pella pastor to prison.
- Lake Red Rock Programs for July 18-20 There’s always something happening at Lake Red Rock! Check out these upcoming activities:July 18 - Iowa History: Just Dig It! - 10:00 a.m.-Playscape (meet at North Overlook Beach at north end of parking lot)Learn about the history of Iowa! From glaci
- Abstract Party for Collegiate Historic District homeowners On July 8, residents of the Collegiate Historic District in Pella were invited to an Abstract Party hosted by the Historic Pella Trust. The Abstract Party was held in the Fireside Room of Second Reformed ChurchLeading the event was Will Page, Public
- More Local News Headlines