Pella — 2013 Marion County Fair Queen Applications are now available in area high school offices and at the Knoxville Raceway Office. The Marion County Fair Queen Competition is open to girls ages 16-21 and offers a great way to practice interview skills and public speaking. The Queen will go on to represent Marion County at the Iowa State Fair. Applicants DO NOT need to be members of 4-H or FFA. Applications are due on Friday, May 3 and the Marion County Fair Queen Competition is scheduled for Saturday, July 6.
- Local News
Marion County building permits on the rise
It's expected to be a busy construction season around Marion County. According to County Zoning Administrator Missy Poffenbarger, her office has issued 17 building permits since March 18.
Burn ban to be lifted at 11 a.m.
Marion County's burn ban will be lifted at 11 a.m. Monday, April 14.
Bussey pair facing several charges
Two Bussey residents are charged in a pair of thefts in Otley and Pella on April 5 and April 11.
County awaits Pleasantville Memorial Hall proposal
The Marion County Board of Supervisors met with representatives from the City of Pleasantville and Memorial Hall Commissioners from the Rose City, to discuss the status of transitioning the hall from County ownership to the City.
Hoefling's gubernatorial campaign focused on grassroots
Longtime political activist Tom Hoefling of Lohrville is hopeful that his grassroots campaign, nurtured with the conservatism of Iowans, will gow into a term as Iowa's next governor.
Fountain to come on this morning
The fountain at Central Park is expected to be turned on this morning (Friday, April 11).
Pella Community Calendar of Events
- City Council approved change orders The Pella City Council approved a resolution Adopting Plans, Specifications, Form of Contract, Receiving Bids, Estimate of Cost, Making Award of Contract and Approving the Contract for Furnishing the Street Light Poles for the 2013 Underground Conver
- Pella students participate in NASA's Space Settlement Design competition This year four students from Pella HS got the opportunity to participate in NASA's Space Settlement Design Competition (SSDC). PHS students traveled to the Johnson Space Center in Houston, Texas where they joined approximately 200 other students from
- Food For Fines during National Library Week During National Library Week (April 14-19) the Pella Public Library will accept non-perishable food items in exchange for overdue fines. One food item will equal $1 in fines; two food items equal $2, etc.; up to a one time maximum of $5. Food items d
- More Local News Headlines
- Marion County building permits on the rise