Perhaps the biggest bill to make it through funnel week, which originated in the House State Government Committee, is one that requires photo identification at the polls. Committee Chair Rep. Guy VanderLinden (R-Oskaloosa) is happy to see the bill moving on. The bill, crafted by Secretary of State Matt Schultz, addresses key concerns Democrats raised about the issue last session. VanderLinden believes the Democrats will still push back on the issue. "They'll find all kinds of reasons to oppose it," VanderLinden said. The bill was expected to receive more attention on the House floor on Monday. Another bill he sought to move forward addressed straight-ticket voting. Both chambers have passed versions of education reform, but there are differences between the House Republicans' proposal and the Senate Democrats' proposal. VanderLinden said he is unsure how the bill will look after the conference committee works it out. Dependent upon how other bills flush out, and their costs are known, he believes that funding increases for schools should stand at 2 percent."I voted for 2 percent," VanderLinden said. "I did that because that's what we can afford." If more money becomes available to raise the increase, he will consider supporting it.
- Local News
- Local seniors return to the classroom
- Pella PD warns of recent scam
Strawtown Gallery presents Ryan Bentzinger, Rome: Show & Tell & Sale
Tuesday, July 29, 6-8 p.m.
- Summer Fun for Families: Seussical the Musical
Pella Community Calendar of Events
June 25 - Aug. 2
Republicans to hold events
The Marion County Republicans are holding events in Knoxville and Pella Saturday, July 26.
Marion County photo contest winners
Winners of the 2014 Marion County Photo Contest were announced at the Marion County Fair.
- Military Retiree Appreciation Day Aug. 28 near Pella A military Retiree Appreciation Day will be held Thursday, Aug. 28 at the Prairie Meadows Race Track and Casino in Altoona, Iowa. Retirees from all branches of the armed forces and their family members are eligible to attend. The event will run from
- Nurses flourish at PRHC with Pathway to Excellence Pella Regional Health Center has again achieved Pathway to Excellence® designation from the American Nurses Credentialing Center. The Pathway to Excellence recognition is earned by health care organizations nationwide that create work environments wh
- Lake Red Rock Programs for July 25-30 There’s always something happening at Lake Red Rock! Check out these upcoming programs: July 25 - “Thief in the Night” - 7:00 p.m. - Howell Station CampgroundProblem: A critter of the night consistently raises havoc with backyard bird feeders. Action
- More Local News Headlines