-The proposed budget includes the renovation of the City’s indoor swimming pool which is necessary to extend the life of the facility by 20 to 30 years. The estimated cost of this renovation is $4.0 million and is proposed to be funded by a local option sales tax bond.
-The FY 13-14 Budget includes funding in the amount of $725,000 for the completion of the Iowa Department of Natural Resources (IDNR) mandates for our wastewater collection system. These improvements include a new 8,100 linear foot 16 inch force main which is intended to accelerate flow from Lift Station #2 to the Southeast Trunk Sewer.
-The proposed budget includes funding of $258,000 for the continuation of the City’s electrical conversion projects. As Council is aware, 70 percent of the electrical distribution system is underground and within the next 5 to 10 years, the City is planning on completing the remaining 30 percent. The estimated cost to complete the remaining conversions is $2.5 million. In 2013, engineering is scheduled for the area south of Pella Community High School to be converted from overhead lines to underground. The conversion is anticipated to begin in 2014.
The detailed FY 13-14 budget book is on file at the Library and City Hall and is available for public review
In other action, council approved a resolution approving Change Order No. 1 in Connection with the Diesel Engine RICE NESHAP Compliance Project.
Council approved the contract with CSE Enterprises on November 5, 2012 in the amount of $456,000 for the work consisting of replacing the existing silencer with a combination silencer catalyst and installing a closed crankcase ventilation system.
Originally, the monitoring requirements for RICE were to be addressed in the diesel plant communication upgrade project. Due to the fact that the communication upgrade project will not be completed before the compliance deadline of May 3, 2013, the Engineer, PRVN Consultants, and staff requested a proposal from CES to supply and install the materials necessary for compliance.