Ellie Gosselink, Director welcomed over 100 who gathered to salute the preservation efforts of Historic Pella Trust, Thursday evening, April 25th at Pella’s Opera House.
Bob Zylstra, President of Historic Pella Trust Board of Directors, gave a brief overview of the programs and preservation goals of Historic Pella Trust for 2013.
William C. Page, Public Historian of Des Moines, outlined the progress and future status of Pella’s Collegiate Historic District located on West First Street, between Independence and Union streets. Phase one, which included mapping and identifying the designate properties is complete. Phase two, which includes the placement of these properties on the National Register of Historic Places, is in its first stages of documentation.
Russ Van Wyk and Matt Vander Linden spoke of their preservation efforts to continue the work that Rich Slings started on the ‘Bean House’ when he moved it to its present site at 315 Independence. This Greek revival designed home built in 1916 was located at 610 Union for many years. Russ and Matt worked to preserve many of the original material used when it was built, yet modernized the home so it is energy efficient with modern amenities built into the lovely home.
Stan Vermeer told of work being done on his Victorian Villa located on Highway 163 East of Pella. Known as the ‘Spite House’, Stan spoke of the complex problems encountered as they worked to modernize this spectacular Italianate Villa.
The evening’s program climaxed with the presentation of awards to local home and business owners.
2013 ARCHITECTURAL SIGNIFICANCE AWARDS
-502 Columbus Street. Built in 1910 by the Wormhoudt Family. This spectacular 103 year home is owned by David and Linda Porter.
-Presented to Stan Vermeer for their Pella Victorian Villa.
-Kevin and Ramona Gibson were honored for their efforts preserving their beautiful brick home located at 814 Independence. Recently acquired by the Gibson’s they have launched a preservation program on this 123 year old Queen Anne style home.
-Julie Mueller accepted this award for the original McClachy barn built in 1853 on its original site in back of their home at 1008 E. 2nd Street.
-The Livery Barn, built in the late 1800s, was recognized for its historic significance. Currently owned by Summit Real Estate Investments LLC.
-Dr. Jeffery Allen received a 2013 Architectural award for his preservation work on preserving the small brick home built by the Slobe family in 1891. Located at 809 Washington Street, this structure represents many small homes built by those who settled Pella in the 19th Century.
2013 HISTORIC PRESERVATION AWARDS
-The Slobe Bros. Building at 839 Broadway. Built in 1891. Currently Owned by Dr. Jeffrey Allen
-935 North Main Street. Built in 1918. Currently owned by Doug and Beverly Terpstra and is currently a Bed and Breakfast named, ‘The Dwelling Place’.
-The ‘Bean House’ at 315 Independence. Built in 1916 at 610 Union Street, the house was moved and restoration started by Rich Slings, Russ Van Wyk and Matt Vander Linden are current owners.
-506 Columbus Street. Built in 1920, Carroll and Elizabeth Bogard continue their preservation program on this lovely home.
-515 West First Street. Built in 1875, Derek and Shelly Bradfield, current owners, continue work on restoring this beautiful home that is located in Historic Pella Trust’s proposed Colligate Historic District.