Arie Spoelstra was born at the family home on March 16, 1926, to Jacob and Emma Boot Spoelstra. He was baptized at Peoria Christian Reformed Church. At eight years old, a barn door blowing in the wind hit him in the head leaving him almost totally deaf. He was adept at reading lips and compensated well. He made profession of faith in Leighton Christian Reformed Church in 1945.
Arie was joined in marriage with Wilma Van Zee on February 23, 1950, at Wilma's family home. They were blessed with four children, Terry, Marlys, Royce, and Crissie.
Arie and Wilma were members of Bethel Christian Reformed Church in Oskaloosa, Iowa, for many years. They later joined First Christian Reformed of Oskaloosa and were presently members of Faith Christian Reformed in Pella. When they married, Arie and Wilma moved to a farm by Lacey, Iowa. They bought a farm on the Glendale Road northeast of Oskaloosa in 1960 where they lived until 1986. Arie raised cattle and hogs until he retired at the age of sixty. They then moved to North Market Street in Oskaloosa and owned a second-hand shop called the Sell Barn until they moved near Pella in 2004. After he retired, Arie enjoyed driving his grandchildren to school and helping out on his children's farms. He enjoyed spending time with his children and grandchildren and was best man at his grandson Curt Hoksbergen's wedding.
Arie passed away at his home on April 22, 2013. He was preceded in death by his son, Terry at nine months of age; his parents, Jacob and Emma; his parents-in-law, Gerrit and Marie Van Zee; and his brother, Cornelius.
Those left to cherish his memory are: his wife, Wilma; his children: Marlys Hoksbergen of Pella, Royce and Sharon Spoelstra of Oskaloosa, and Crissie and Dennis Rozendaal of Cedar Rapids; eleven grandchildren; nine great-grandchildren; his siblings: Harold (Frieda) Spoelstra, Edith (John) Van Zee; and his sister-in-law, Elvera Spoelstra.
Funeral services were held Thursday, April 25, 2013, at the Faith Christian Reformed Church in Pella. Burial took place at the Evergreen Cemetery near Leighton. The Garden Chapel Funeral Home was in charge of the arrangements.