Much to see at annual Bald Eagle Days in Pella - See slideshow
Get an up-close look at a live bald eagle and other raptors. Eagle shows will be presented hourly until 4 p.m. (last program starts at 3:00 p.m.) today (Saturday). Staff from the University of Minnesota's Raptor Center will share amazing details about how these birds "make a living." After that, more live birds await you as Environmental Educator Mike Havlik presents programs about owls, hawk identification and conservation. Other event highlights include wildlife photographer and author Ty Smedes, an environmental fair, wildlife photographer Ron Huelse, and nature crafts. Travel to the Red Rock Dam to spot eagles fishing and flying in the wild. Volunteers will be on hand with spotting scopes in the North Tailwater Recreation Area to assist you. The Red Rock Visitor Center, located on the south side of the Red Rock Dam, will feature showings of bald eagle videos produced right here in Iowa. Admission to Bald Eagle Day is free of charge and is presented by the US Army Corps of Engineers, Iowa Department of Natural Resources, Marion County Conservation Board, Central College and the Red Rock Lake Association.
- Emerald Ash Borer confirmed in Newton
Busy time for Parks Department
Business is picking up for the Pella Parks and Recreation Department, as it makes the transition from pushing snow to preparing to mow.
Spring arrives in Marion County in style
The first day of spring, March 20, truly had the appropriate weather. Sunshine and a nice temperature sent many people into the outdoor of splendor of Lake Red Rock.
- These animals may help your garden
- Iowa's 'Black Gold' This is the first of a series of articles written by the Red Rock Lake Association's "Save the Lake Committee", by Mark Thompson When European settlers first arrived in what is now Iowa, they encountered a vast sea of grasses and flowers, with sca
- Local Conservation Board to host Wildlife Management Seminars
Marion County Development Commission Announces the 'Best of the Red Rock Area'
Want to know where to eat or what to enjoy in Marion County? Here's the definitive listing.
- "National Water Trail" Designation for Red Rock
- Lake Association's Annual Membership Meeting Scheduled for Nov.14
3M Donates to Lake Association
Representatives from 3M, the Red Rock Lake Association, the US Army Corps of Engineers and Central College gathered at North Overlook Campground this morning as 3M presented a $30,000 donation to a cooperative natural playscape project.
- More Outdoors Headlines