The Pella High School Speech team took 12 events to State contest at Cedar Rapids Washington on Saturday, February 4. Six entries received straight “ones” from the judges, three entries received overall “ones”, two entries received an overall rating of “two” and a short film was entered in an experimental category.
All State nominations are usually given by the Iowa High School Speech Association on the Monday following State contest, but due to weather related cancellations, some schools were not able to compete on February 4. Contests will be held at a later date.
Three Pella High Speech groups were named to Iowa High School Speech Association All State. The improv team of Kelly Anderson, Marielle Gaiser and Sydney Swanson, the improv team of Bailey Tripp, Mitch Shepperd, Evan Jones and Micah Zeimetz, and the Readers Theatre group of Kody Beller, Devin McCain, Colin Jones and Eleanor Witt.
Straight Division I ratings from all three judges:
Group Improv: Kelly Anderson, Marielle Gaiser, Sydney Swanson
Group Improv: Bailey Tripp, Evan Jones, Micah Ziemetz, Mitch Shepperd
Group Improv: Aaron VanMaanen, Jack Parisee, Nathan Clayberg, Greg Frommelt
Musical Theatre: Bat Boy: The Musical - Kelly Anderson, Marielle Gaiser
Ensemble Acting: I Hate Hamlet - Evan Jones, Mitch Shepperd, Micah Ziemetz
9th Grade Readers’ Theatre: Greater Tuna - Colin Jones, Devin McCain, Eleanor Witt, Kody Beller
Overall Division I ratings:
9th Grade Group Improv: Colin Jones, Jason Morgan, Matthew Sutija, Matthew Weihe
One Act Play: Totally Red - Jack Parisee, Sam Palmer, Megan Sims, Sydney Swason, Jordan Baker
Radio Broadcasting: Radio 1 - Pat Dieleman, Benji McElroy
Division II Ratings:
Musical Theatre: The Robber Bridegroom - Maria Belding, Bre Klein, Jordan Baker, Elias Gross, Jacob Wesemann, Nathan Clayberg
9th Grade Musical Theatre: Guys and Dolls - Devin McCain, Eleanor Witt, Mark Vos, Davis Vande Steeg
Pella Christian High School’s Choral Readers performance of “The Other Room,” one of the school’s Large Group Speech events, was selected as Outstanding Performers at the IHSSA State Large Group Competition. The nomination at the State Speech competition held at Cedar Rapids Washington on February 4 qualified them for recognition at the All-State Festival this Saturday, February 18, 2012 on the campus of Iowa State University.
These students represent an elite group of only 25 Choral Reading Teams across the state of Iowa, selected out of nearly 200 teams originally entered in the IHSSA Large Group Event.
The All-State Performers included in the event are Amber Attema, Matthew Rossler, Delaney Dugger, Vanessa Blankespoor, Cali Beyer, Amy Beekhuizen, Madison Thingstad, Cory Van Gilst, Carson Dugger, Emily Van Gorp, Caleb Attema, and Leighton Schnedler.
Pella Christian also received high scores in four other events that were also eligible for the State Large Group competition. Both PC’s one-act, “Charlie Foster,” and Readers Theatre, “Piggie Pie,” received straight I’s from all three judges at competition. The school’s two ensembles, “The Miracle Worker” and “Who’s on First?,” also performed at State.
A total of 34 students competed with Pella Christian’s Speech Team this year, under the direction of Marlo Van Peursem and Helen Luhrs. The Iowa High School Speech Association governs speech competition in Iowa with 487 member schools. Approximately 40,000 Iowa high school students participate in Speech events each year.
PCHS Society approves joint Long Range Planning Committee for Christian Education in South Central Iowa
Motion #1 - Passed with 72%, Motion #2 - Failed with 62% (needed 67%)
- Ag in the Classroom event held - See slideshow Fourth graders from throughout Marion County learned about agriculture on today, March 6, at the Marion County Farm Bureau’s Ag in the Classroom event held at the Vermeer Global Pavilion in Pella. Classes from Knoxville, Twin Cedars, Melcher-Dallas, Pella, Pella Christian, and home-schooled students rotated among several learning stations to gain insight into various aspects of agriculture. Heather Bandstra, Lindsey Jansen and Drew Carlson provided animals for the students to see. The Twin Cedars FFA Chapter also assisted the students during the event.
- Pella Christian speech team earn sweep of I's at district individuals Pella Christian High School continued their successful speech forensic season at the IHSSA's District Individual Events competition on Saturday, March 1 at Tri-County High School in Thornburg. All 10 events entered by PCHS received I's and a spot at
- PHS Bands present Winter Concert The Pella Community High School band department will present a winter concert on Friday, February 28, at 7:30 p.m., in the PHS auditorium. The concert will feature the Concert Band directed by Mr. Ben Thompson, the Symphonic Band directed by Mr. Jaso
- Pella Band students participate in contest On Saturday, February 22, 50 Pella High School Band Students traveled to Perry High School for the Perry Band Olympics Solo and Ensemble contest. A total of 35 solo/ensemble entries received division I "Superior" ratings while 17 entries received div
- PCHS, PHS earns top marks at State Speech Contest Both schools represented at All-State Festival Pella Christian High School's Large Group Speech team earned top marks at the IHSSA's State Speech competition held at Linn-Mar High School on February 8. Three events earned straight ones and one was
Central to host Political Science convention
Political Scientists from throughout the state will be coming to Marion County next weekend, as Central College hosts the Iowa Association of Political Scientists' annual convention and program.
- No lack of support shown at Jefferson
- 'School Choice Week' designated this week in Iowa This week is School Choice Week in Iowa and across the country. More than 30 events are planned across the Hawkeye State, in addition to 5,500 events nationwide. The Week, which is the nation's largest-ever celebration of educational opportunity, giv
- Lots of holiday spirit seen at Jefferson Intermediate - See slideshow Students at Jefferson Intermediate School in Pella recently decorated most of their classroom doors. While they did not do a "contest" this year, it was great to see each other's creativity according to staff at Jefferson. See more photos at pellachronicle.com.
- More Schools Headlines
- PCHS Society approves joint Long Range Planning Committee for Christian Education in South Central Iowa