Pella — This year four students from Pella High School got the opportunity to participate in NASA’s Space Settlement Design Competition (SSDC). PHS students traveled to the Johnson Space Center in Houston, Texas where they joined approximately 200 other students from NW Iowa and Texas for the competition. This is the first year that students from Pella have been invited to participate in the event. Emily Witt, Taylor Burton, Alex Donelson, and Alex Bragg were the Pella HS participants. The SSDC is designed to provide students with experiences similar to those encountered by real engineers. The competition teaches students to communicate, cope with stress, solve problems, work as a team, manage time, organize a huge task, apply STEM skills, ask questions, assess their solution, evaluate economic costs, and evaluate quality of life on the settlement. Students have 23 hours to complete a plan with a limit of 50 pages and 35 minutes to present their proposal. Their plans are presented to NASA Aerospace Engineers who grill the students with questions when the presentation is over. Students were placed in four teams (engineering companies) and given a request for proposal from the futuristic Foundation Society. The task is placed in the year 2033. This future date invites students to think outside of the box about the technologies that could exist. The task this year was to design a space settlement that orbited the Moon and could hold a society of 5000 people. The settlement needed to be expandable and allow for visitors to travel to and from Earth to the settlement. This year the decision for a winning team was especially difficult due to the exceptional proposals. Alex Donelson was a member of the team that won the competition. Members from his team will be invited back to Houston this summer for the international competition.
- PHS Bands, Orchestra present spring concert The Pella Community High School Concert Band, Symphonic Band, Orchestra, and Percussion Ensembles will present a spring concert in the PHS Auditorium on Thursday, April 21, at 7:30 pm. The senior members of the ensembles will be recognized as well as
- Middle School renovations discussed by board The Pella Community School Board of directors met on March 27, at the High School Media Center for a regular board meeting. Members Gregg Gustafson, Michelle VanMaanen, and Gary Coppock were present, and director Timothy Tripp attended via cell phone
- PCHS pair to All-State Speech event Two events from Pella Christian High School's Individual Speech program were recently nominated as Outstanding Performers, which invited them to participate in the Iowa High School Speech Association (IHSSA) All-State Festival on March 31 on the camp
- PHS Yearbook staff honored Pella is one of five schools being honored with a Neubert Award given by the Iowa High School Press Association recognizing the most outstanding entires in IHSPA's whole book contest. The award, named in honor of the late Mick Neubert, an outstanding
PCHS Society approves joint Long Range Planning Committee for Christian Education in South Central Iowa
Motion #1 - Passed with 72%, Motion #2 - Failed with 62% (needed 67%)
- Ag in the Classroom event held - See slideshow Fourth graders from throughout Marion County learned about agriculture on today, March 6, at the Marion County Farm Bureau’s Ag in the Classroom event held at the Vermeer Global Pavilion in Pella. Classes from Knoxville, Twin Cedars, Melcher-Dallas, Pella, Pella Christian, and home-schooled students rotated among several learning stations to gain insight into various aspects of agriculture. Heather Bandstra, Lindsey Jansen and Drew Carlson provided animals for the students to see. The Twin Cedars FFA Chapter also assisted the students during the event.
- Pella Christian speech team earn sweep of I's at district individuals Pella Christian High School continued their successful speech forensic season at the IHSSA's District Individual Events competition on Saturday, March 1 at Tri-County High School in Thornburg. All 10 events entered by PCHS received I's and a spot at
- PHS Bands present Winter Concert The Pella Community High School band department will present a winter concert on Friday, February 28, at 7:30 p.m., in the PHS auditorium. The concert will feature the Concert Band directed by Mr. Ben Thompson, the Symphonic Band directed by Mr. Jaso
- Pella Band students participate in contest On Saturday, February 22, 50 Pella High School Band Students traveled to Perry High School for the Perry Band Olympics Solo and Ensemble contest. A total of 35 solo/ensemble entries received division I "Superior" ratings while 17 entries received div
- PCHS, PHS earns top marks at State Speech Contest Both schools represented at All-State Festival Pella Christian High School's Large Group Speech team earned top marks at the IHSSA's State Speech competition held at Linn-Mar High School on February 8. Three events earned straight ones and one was
- More Schools Headlines