Area schools and businesses have begun announcing early dismissals ahead of an expected winter storm on Friday.
- Pella Community Schools: Dismissing at 12:30 p.m. No afternoon preschool, no evening activities.
- Pella Christian Schools: Dismissing at 12:20 p.m. Morning Winterim classes will end at 11 a.m., lunch will be served from 11-11:30 a.m., and the afternoon Winterim classes will meet from 11:30-12:30. Busses will run at 12:20 p.m.
- The Pella Christian vs. Dallas Center-Grimes basketball games have been cancelled.
- The Pella Christian bowling meet at Sigourney on Saturday, Jan. 11 has been cancelled.
- Bibles for Missions Thrift Center: closing at 1 p.m.
- Pella Aquatic Center: closed.
Additionally, the city of Pella is implementing its snow ordinance, beginning at 6 p.m. Friday. It will remain in effect until further notice.
Vehicles remaining on the street or in public parking lots are subject to ticketing and/or towing. Snow plows make multiple passes; therefore, do not park on streets or public parking lots until the snow ordinance is lifted.
The National Weather Service has issued a winter storm warning for Marion County, beginning at 3 p.m. today and continuing until 6 p.m. Saturday evening. Snowfall is expected with a wintry mix of freezing rain today, following with more snow on Saturday. Six to ten inches of snowfall is expected.
Today’s evening commute and drive time may be impacted, especially in central and southwest Iowa. Brisk winds will produce blowing snow and reduced visibility.