At approximately 8:04 p.m. on Sept. 29, the Marion County Sheriff’s Office responded to a report of a reckless driver traveling westbound in the eastbound lane of the 800 Block of Highway 92 just west of Knoxville.
A Marion County Sheriff’s Deputy attempted to initiate a traffic stop with the vehicle, at which time the vehicle did not stop.
The driver, identified as Awo Ahmed Abdalla Kowa of Knoxville, reached speeds of approximately 120 mph on Highway 92 westbound. The pursuit continued north on Highway 5 by Pleasantville, through Carlisle and into Polk County.
Shortly after turning northbound onto Fleur Drive, Marion County Deputies terminated the pursuit. Kowa continued where he was involved in an accident at the intersection of Fleur Drive and Watrous in Des Moines. He was subsequently caught on foot, taken into custody and transported to the Polk County Jail.
Kowa has been charged with the following charges in Polk and/or Marion Counties:
- Driving while license denied/suspended/revoked
- OWI 3rd
- Leaving the scene of an accident
- Interference with official acts
- Operating vehicle without interlock device
- Eluding speeds over 25 over limit
- Speeding over 55 zone (21 or over)
- Failure to obey stop sign and yield right of way
- Reckless driving
- Driving on wrong side of two-way highway
The Marion County Sheriff’s Office, Pleasantville Police Department, Warren County Sheriff’s Office, Polk County Sheriff’s Office, Des Moines Police Department, Carlisle Police Department and the Iowa State Patrol were the responding agencies.