Spring has officially arrived and with it comes plans to enjoy the campgrounds and recreational facilities in the Lake Red Rock area. In 2015, some of those recreation areas are closed to the public and will remain closed during the construction of a hydroelectric power plant near the Red Rock Dam.
Missouri River Energy Services (MRES), the builder of the project, reminds outdoor enthusiasts to refrain from entering the North Tailwater Recreation Area immediately downstream from the Red Rock Dam. The North Overlook Picnic Area and a section of the Volksweg Bike Trail are also closed.
“We realize that the closure causes an inconvenience for fishermen, bikers and campers, but the primary concern of MRES is for the safety of the public and construction workers,” said MRES Director of Member Services and Communications Joni Livingston.
The status of Lake Red Rock Recreation facilities is as follows:
CLOSED due to project construction:
• North Overlook Picnic Area – CLOSED to the public through May 2016
• North Tailwater Recreation Area – CLOSED to the public for the duration of the project
• Volksweg Bike Trail from Howell Station Campground to North Overlook Picnic Area – CLOSED to the public for the duration of the project
OPEN and not affected by project construction:
• Elk Rock State Park Campground – OPEN
• Hickory Ridge Wilderness Camp – OPEN
• Howell Station Recreation Area and Campground – OPENS for season on April 16
• Ivan’s Recreation Area and Campground – OPENS April 23
• North Overlook Recreation Area and Campground – OPENS for season April 23
• Roberts Creek Park Campground – OPEN
• South Tailwater Recreation Area – OPEN
• Wallashuck Recreation Area – OPENS for season April 23
• Whitebreast Recreation Area and Campground – OPENS for season April 23
• Whitebreast Youth Camp Area – OPENS April
• Volksweg Bike Trail – OPEN except from Howell Station Campground to North Overlook Picnic Area
MRES has taken several measures to enhance recreation in the Red Rock Dam area, including the construction of a 7,000-foot extension of the Volksweg Bike Trail to extend the trail from the Fifield Recreation Area to the Robert’s Creek Trailhead. Other features added to the area include picnic shelters, a playground, a fish-cleaning station, restrooms, parking facilities and water fountains.
For the latest information on recreation facilities and campgrounds, call the Lake Red Rock Project Office at 641-828-7522 or visit this website.